Friday, November 15, 2013

shredded tree, tarp

Yesterday I attended one of the best--and free-wheeling-- Ikebana demonstrations I've ever seen. I'm sure it's responsible for the fact that when I walked outside this morning I couldn't resist picking up shredded wood beside the road. Evidently, in my absence, some rogue tree-trimmers had come by and whacked low branches off some of the trees on my street, and the roadside was littered with raw, split wood and other debris (like a blue tarp) that got ground up by the mower. Mysteriously (and miraculously), no damage was done in front of my house (perhaps the mowers knew a crazy lady lived there?), but there was plenty of debris elsewhere for me to use in a windowsill arrangement.


I kept thinking what this arrangement needed (based on what I'd seen yesterday) was a while carnation or chrysanthemum at its base, and, wouldn't you know it, I had just thrown out the white carnation I had on November 11! Anyway, I decided to create a flower for the base by pulling an okra pod apart. Not sure if this really adds anything. 



Oddly enough, every time I walk into the kitchen and see this, I think, at first, that I'm looking at an iris. 

No comments:

Post a Comment