Thursday, June 4, 2015

happy Selaginella!

So, how many days of almost non-stop rain have we had? Four? The best I can say is that I haven't had to water anything. The worst is that mushrooms coming up in my garden paths. Anyway, this Selaginella (spike moss) is EXTREMELY happy. In a normal summer, I'd be watering this baby almost hourly to make sure it doesn't dry out. Selaginella loves moist soil and humidity. But this year it thinks it's growing in a rain forest. I bought this little potted plant at The Greenhouse on Mountain Road (Glen Allen, VA), and dropped it into this tiny round basket (available from thearrangersmarket.com) a month or so ago without even removing it from its plastic pot. (The plastic pot is covered with "camouflage" moss I harvested from the surface of my brick sidewalk.) Usually this little arrangement sits on the side porch, but because I didn't feel like going outside to pick anything in the rain this afternoon, I decided to display it on the windowsill.




No comments:

Post a Comment