Sunday, July 13, 2014

Mystery tree

You'd think you had to travel to a different continent (or at least a different state) to find a tree that totally baffled you, but John and I found one Friday night in the Ruby Tuesdays parking lot in Ashland. Neither of us had any idea what it was--and we gave it a fair amount of thought. Eventually, I used my phone app called LeafSnap to try to identify it, and to my utter amazement, I think we landed on what it is: a hedge maple (Acer campestre). It's by no means a typical hedge maple, but I'm thinking it must be a hedge maple cultivar of some sort. Its leaves look almost like arborescent ivy leaves, with more rounded tips.


P.S. This is not a hedge maple. I learned in November that it's a sweet gum cultivar called 'Rotundifolia.' 



No comments:

Post a Comment