Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 3, 2012 -- another riff on loosestrife




After I snipped all the side shoots off Sunday's tall stem of yellow loosestrife (see July 1) and dropped them into these little vases, I left the tube that had held the original stem on the counter to clean it and in it were some of the knotweed stems I'd used to support the tall stem in the tube. A neighbor dropped by and admired the knotweed stems (go figure), which sort of moved them up in my estimation, and I decided to drop three of them into these vases.  They looked too stiff for these fluffy little concoctions, though, so I started looking for something to stuff into their tops (knotweed stems are hollow). First thing I saw was redbud seed pods, which worked perfectly. They actually look like green feathers, poised as they are in the tops of the knotweed stems.

I love having this photo, because it will serve as a record of when redbud pods are this size and color.

P.S. The tomatoes were the last thing I added to the windowsill, and I added them just because I had them, they had pretty little stem leaves, and they were red!

1 comment:

  1. off to take a walk across my field to check on the redbud..

    ReplyDelete