Saturday, September 1, 2012

September 1, 2012 -- amazing butterfly, spider, cosmos flower!

I noticed this swallowtail butterfly on a pink cosmos flower today around noon, but there was something weird about it. The butterfly wasn't moving at all, and it seemed odd that its wings were spread so wide on such a cloudy day. Even when I watered near the cosmos plant, the butterfly didn't move. I finally decided it must be dead, but it wasn't until I cut the flower (with butterfly attached) that I saw what the real trouble was--a spider that must have paralyzed the butterfly and begun to eat it. The spider is whitish green. Absolutely amazing.

2 comments:

  1. This is too cool...kind of sad! Love catching up with your wonderful windowsills again...sharing you with my visiting sister from Iowa!

    ReplyDelete