Saturday, January 7, 2012

January 7, 2012 -- collards, leftovers

This almost doesn't count as a windowsill arrangement (it's on a table in front of the windowsill), but I enjoyed it so much I had to include it. These are the leftovers from some Collard Green Coleslaw I made yesterday (the ribs leftover from removing the "flesh" of the leaves, as well as some blanched leaves from the interior of the bunches). If I'd known, when I was cutting them out, that I was going to use these ribs in an "arrangement," I'd have cut them more carefully, but they're still pretty striking.



And here is Mary Ann Pugh's recipe for Collard Green Coleslaw. Mary Ann gave me both the recipe and 1/2 lb. collard greens for Christmas. What a gift!

Collard Green Coleslaw

1/2 lb. collard greens, stems removed
3 medium carrots, grated
1 medium onion, grated
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup rice or cider vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp. powdered mustard
1 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper


Stack collard greens leaves and roll into log. Cut narrow strips from log to create "ribbons." Transfer to bowl and add other veggies. Whisk remaining ingredients together in small saucepan. Bring to boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and pour hot vinegar mixture over veggies. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. (Adapted from Vegetarian Times)

1 comment: