Wednesday, June 6, 2012

June 6, 2012 -- playing with trumpets

Yesterday, when I picked my trumpet vine flowers, there were lots of individual trumpets, which had been shed by the vine, on the ground. Couldn't resist playing with them. My first inclination was to use one as a vase, but what I needed was a tiny pin holder to position it upright, and I didn't have one. Instead, I used a bigger pin holder, hid it in this green bowl, and positioned several trumpets upright. Then I stuck other plant material (astilbe flowers and Japanese Hanoki grass) into each trumpet. Silly, but sort of interesting.



Here's another single trumpet used more conventionally. I added it to a little vase of coleous snippings and a few leaves of Japanese Hanoki grass. Adding the trumpet was more complicated than it looks, because it had no stem. I stuck a threadlike stick down it's throat to create a stem. It's holding up surprisingly well.


1 comment: