Sunday, December 4, 2011

December 4, 2011--long-lasting tomato, climbing spinach

I was vacuuming when I found material for today's "arrangement."  It seems a green tomato I'd used in an arrangement on Nov. 22 had dropped behind a radiator, where I encountered it this morning. It was no longer green but blushing red, and too pretty to throw away. I put it on top of a little liquor bottle, where it looked fine, but the real drama didn't occur until the morning light showed me its shadow on the cabinet nearby.


And look what has happened to the climbing spinach vine I used in windowsill arrangements on November 7 and October 29!  It has rooted! Talk about a surprise. This is a plant material I had never thought would hold up well in a vase, but not only has it lasted over a month, it shows absolutely no signs of wilting. I feel compelled to plant it in a pot of dirt and see if it will continue to grow over the winter (indoors), but it's so happy where it is, I sort of hate to disturb it.




No comments:

Post a Comment