Saturday, August 20, 2011

Aug. 20, 2011

This is just two pretty pieces of plant material I couldn't throw away. Both broke off as I was weeding today. (Weeding is not fun right now, by the way. It's too hot and there are too many weeds!) Anyway, the greenery is actually a honeysuckle (Lonicera nitida)  called Baggesen's Gold. It looks nothing like the "normal," familiar honeysuckle and, instead, is sort of a shrubby thing with reclining stems and yellow-green foliage. Great for arranging but I seldom cut it because mine is hidden under another shrub and I tend to forget about it. The flower (which youi can hardly see in photo)  is a late-blooming daylily that I love. It has very tall stems topped with small, graceful yellow flowers. Can't remember its name, but something makes me think it may include the word"autumnal."   This bloom will last only a day, but it was just too pretty to throw immediately in compost heap.  It's amazing how many things get crushed and broken off as I weed because I am not gentle when in weeding mode!


And here's a little bouquet I did for a friend in a nursing home (Rudbeckia triloba flowers with scented geranium foliage). I was delighted to discover  Bill's room has a nice, wide windowsill!


No comments:

Post a Comment