Thursday, August 11, 2011

August 11, 2011---queen red lime zinnia, etc.


Yesterday, when I was pulling zinnias together in plastic cups. there were some I didn't include because I didn't like them. In fact, as I was picking zinnias the day before, I was bemoaning the fact that I had even bought seeds for "Queen Red Lime" zinnias from Johnny's Selected Seeds. In the garden, they looked really bad--domed, fully double flowers with sort of a washed out, dusky magenta petals on the outside and greenish ones in the center. Nothing like the picture in the seed catalog. But I couldn't seem to throw the flowers away and they wound up, bouquet like, in this glass vase (shown in photo above). My photo is even less accurate, colorwise, than the color of the Queen Red Lime zinnias in the Johnny's catalog, but I've decided I like the 'real life' color of these zinnias, because, indoors, it looks soft and subtle, the way a peach does. I wouldn't call it peachy, but it's dusky in the way a peach is. The Queen Red Lime zinnia that shows up best in this photo is far right in the glass vase, and below. The flowers in the taller green vase are cockscomb and the whispy things behind them that look like sea oats are river oats. Unlike sea oats, which you shouldn't pick, river oats are invasive, but I like to grow them to cut.


This color is SO wrong, and I don't know how to fix it, but this shows you the form of the flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment