Wednesday, April 4, 2012

April 4, 2012 -- blue and white

These are just some pretty little blue and white things, none of which you can see very well in the photo. Most interesting to me are the lawngrass in the vase to the far right and the rockcress (tiny white flowers) in the middle cruet. I spent a large part of the morning pulling grass-going-to-seed out of my moss, and every time I juggled it I got a face full of pollen. Couldn't resist bringing some inside to "capture the moment." The rockcress is interesting because I picked it (actually a friend picked it) in the Flower Camp riverbottom last weekend and I brought it back to Ashland (out of water for two hours) to identify it. I'm still not sure I have the identification exactly right (I think it's lyre-leaved rockcress, Arabis lyrata), but whatever it is, it's beautiful. And it's amazing that such a delicate-looking wildflower could not only survive so long out of water but perk right up and act like a fine little cut flower when finally rehydrated.


In these containers (numbered left to right) are 1) Virginia bluebells, Amsonia, Spanish squill, white money plant; 2) Confederate violets; 3) periwinkle and rockcress; 4) variegated ivy; 5) Jacob's ladder and lawngrass-going-to-seed.

1 comment: