Saturday, June 25, 2011

June 25, 2011

This morning, I decided you couldn't see the pretty curve of the nigella (love-in-a-mist) blossoms in yesterday's arrangement, so I pulled the river oats out. Another change: as you can see, yesterday's daylily blossom has died. Who would use daylilies in an arrangement? Me! I love them, even though the blossoms of most daylilies live only a day (the blooms of some new cultivars actually live longer). Who cares about flower longevity if you're arranging for yourself (as opposed to arranging for paying guests in a hotel lobby)? Actually, when you use a daylily blossom, there are often gravid buds on the flower scape that are ready to bloom the next day anyway. And I LOVE the structure of daylily buds. No new bloom today, but maybe tomorrow. What I really enjoyed about this arrangement this morning wasn't blooms at all; it was the light through the wood poppy leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment