Tuesday, October 4, 2011

October 4, 2011--forsythia and rose

Yesterday I finally got out in the garden to weed and, in my last wheelbarrow load of weeds, I noticed a forsythia twig I'd cut off while pulling grapevine out of the shrub, and the twig had two yellow blooms on it. A great season marker that: forsythia throwing a few blooms in the fall.  Below is the twig I rescued from the wheelbarrow. There's a stem of pachysandra in the blue bottle, too.  I kept wishing I had a black bottle to put this in, which made me realize I don't think I've ever seen a bottle made of black glass (dark brown, yes, but not black). That's something I'd like to have. Notice the maple leaf on the roof. Soon it will have lots of company!



There are actually lots of things blooming in the garden now, and the roses are particularly pertty.  This is Carefree Beauty, I think. I picked it because it was fun to be able display it in four stages--overblown flower, loose bud, tight bud, and petals-gone-only-calyx-remaining.


No comments:

Post a Comment