Tuesday, November 29, 2011

November 29,2011---Brocolli Raab



This is three stems of brocolli raab jammed into a green vase. It's as pretty in a vase as it is on a plate. Or in the garden for that matter. I learned something interesting about brocolli raab this weekend. I've been harvesting only the unopen flowers and short stalks, but a friend told me the best part of brocolli raab is the greens and that the open, yellow flowers are also edible. Sure enough, I stir-fried the leaves and they were delicious! I had been thinking my plants were producing little I could eat when, in fact, they were producing lots. And it's just so much fun to see something so lush and green in the garden in November. Wendy (my friend who knows about brocolli raab) calls it rapini. She thinks brocollini is an entirely different thing (maybe the second, side shoots of regular brocolli?). We're still puzzling over that.


As you can see, if you were only to eat the unopen flowers of brocolli raab, you wouldn't get much.

1 comment:

  1. I am amazed that you still can find such greenery happening. May be I just need to look with with wider eyes on my walks.

    ReplyDelete