Tuesday, November 8, 2011

November 8, 2011--Swiss chard

The most interesting thing about this is where the idea came from. I was culling through a pile of catalogs, when I came across the one pictured below. "I've got that [Swiss chard]" was the message that registered in my brain when I looked at the catalog cover.  In truth, I like the "arrangements" on the catalog cover -- with just the Swiss chard stems in jars -- better than my own arrangement (which includes leaves), but I didn't have as much Swiss chard as they did! Of course, it's amazing (to me) that I have any Swiss chard growing in the garden at all.  Most people probably don't, but this post is still relevant, because it proves a catalog cover can serve as windowsill arranging inspiration



I also learned something from trying to arrange these leaves and stems. I felt the way I imagine an elementary school chorus teacher must feel when trying to stage a production. I needed to move the showiest stems (best voices) to the front, but the stems with the best leaves (tallest kids) needed to be in the back. A conundrum I didn't have time to solve!

No comments:

Post a Comment