Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sept. 1, 2011--through John's eyes

Today the Flower Camp garden is probably more lush than it has ever been. I'm not kidding--every time we have needed rain here this summer we have gotten it, and hurricane Irene didn't reach this far inland to any significant degree. We're still without power in Ashland (day 6), but here you'd never know Irene had struck. So when John and I surveyed the garden this afternoon, I was all a-twitter with things I wanted him to see.  But I tried to stay quiet and see through his eyes instead of mine. In vase below are the two things, In an expanse of about 1/4 acres of cut flowers, that impressed/interested him most. One was the Rudbeckia triloba  that I've been using over and over again this summer (a very small-flowered black-eyed Susan) and the other was he skeletonized leaf of an artemisia. "I wonder what's eating that?" John wondered. I think it's flea beetles, but what does a flea beetle look like? I don't know.


The amazing thing about the "arrangement" above, is that it's what resulted from the most lush, almost over-abundant, cutting garden I've ever had. I decided to allow myself one photo to show how amazing it was, but, of course, my camera doesn't see what my eye does.  Below is bad photo of a beautiful scene awash with sunflowers, marigolds, tithonia, marigolds, celosia, artemisia, etc. And at least half of it is flowers that I didn't plant, including the Rudbeckia triloba and artemisia---things that seeded in from last year.




No comments:

Post a Comment