Thursday, September 22, 2011

September 22, 2011---hibiscus pod

The most interesting thing in this arrangement isn't the thing you see first. It's the greenish hibiscus pods (to lower right in first photo).  I wouldn't have picked them, because I was leaving them to mature and hopefully drop seed for new plants, but today, when I went out to pick, I discovered I have a nice new colony of hibiscus already coming up! Total surprise. They're already 3 feet tall and have some buds on them, even though they are surrounded by weeds. It was a great surprise, because all I've been able to think about recently is how out-of-control the weeds are.

Anyway, I didn't really want to add the red geraniums to this little arrangement--wanted the hibiscus pods to be the focal point---but they just weren't going to show up in a photo, so I added the geraniums (all  scavenged from a single  flower in a pot).  Also included are some perilla leaves and seed structures, and I've threaded all the stems though a woody ivy vine the way I did in another recent windowsill arrangement. The woody ivy vine is propped on top of three little glass vases.  This is so easy to do and I love the way it ties the three vases together.



No comments:

Post a Comment