Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May 1, 2012 -- all about color

This array started when I went to harvest some irises this morning and had to break off a top bloom to get the bucket of irises to fit in the refrigerator (I'm trying to save them for a wedding and it's going to be hot outdoors today). I dropped the bloom into a vase because it was just too pretty to discard--such an unusual mix of lavender/peach. Then I went to plant a new rose bush I'd bought('Cinco de Mayo'), and because it had one bloom open that I thought I'd probably damage in the planting process, I cut it off and took it inside, too. It, too, is a really strange color. It looks sort of brickish in the photo below, but its petals are underlain with dusky blues and yellows. Also in photo above are a pale pinkish-lavendar columbine (far left), some American wisteria blooms combined with spinach flowers (middle), and a single peach-colored single peony blossom, also picked to protect it from the heat.
I just looked online for a better description of the 'Cinco de Mayo' rose's color and found one: someone describes it as "mysteriously colored" with "a blending of smoked lavender and rusty red-orange." Absolutley correct!

No comments:

Post a Comment