Tuesday, May 10, 2011

May 10, 2011

I couldn't quite get this lit the way I wanted it. Still much to learn re using flash (or not) on my camera! Ended up turning on overhead light and overexposing to try to get this photo to show what I wanted it to. This "arrangement" took about 30 seconds (not counting the two minutes it took to pick the flowers) and was fun, because it finally worked the way most windowsill arrangments do, in that the previous day's gleanings proved useful. I wanted to combine this brownish iris with bronze fennell foliage, because I thought they'd look pretty together. (They grow in the same part of my yard but not next to each other, and pulling things together in a vase is easier than pulling them together in the yard!)  Also picked a fat, short stem of rhubarb for its big frilly leaf (it's such a good anchor green in almost any arrangement). Couldn't find appropriate jar or vase so I used my coffee mug. Opening was too wide to hold so few stems upright, so I reused peony pods from previous day's arrangment to "stuff" the opening. (You might be able to see them low, near the lip of the mug. They are the same pods that were in the black vase yesterday.)  I cut those stems really short and jammed the letfover stem material, almost like logs, into the vase to provide even more support to the other stems.  Voila! Something I like looking at, primarily for its dreamy color.

No comments:

Post a Comment