Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Windowsill Arranging

Oh, boy! Finally found a way to communicate about my favorite passtime. I'm going to post photos of my windowsill arrangements and explain how they evolved. It will be a journal of the seasons (because of the landscape out the window and the flowers in the vases) and it will give me an opportunity to share the joy I take in this daily practice. I'm also dying to learn how to better use my camera, so maybe going public with my photos will make me read the manual! Occasionally I'll post photos of "real" arrangements--as opposed to the little horticulture displays I create every day---but mostly I want to show how these little dribbles of plant material from the yard (and even veegie peelings!) wind up on the windowsill where I find combining them SO satisfying.  The "arrangements" sort of evolve, because not all the materials get pulled out at once, and a stem leftover from yesterday may combine with new flower from today.

This was yesterday's arrangement (May 3). It's obviously sideways and I have no idea how to fix that (yet!).  Peony foliage leftover from Easter arrangements, one stem of white money plant on right, knotweed stems leftover from weeding.



Now text is centered and I don't know how to fix that (yet!). Next photo is of today's windowsill arrangement (May 4).  I've added a leftover peony seed structure (love those after the petals fall off!) and a Zephrine Drouhin rose I picked last night. So fragrant!



Here are some other photos of spring arrangements. First two photos show details from an April arrangement that included pale yellow spikes of brocollini flowers (gorgeous! they should be grown in cutting gardens!), yellow tree peony, and pink camellia called April Remembered. The last two shrubs were given to me when my mother died, and it's so nostalgic now to pick beautiful flowers from them.  


This is photo of earliest herbaceous peony to bloom in my garden this spring. Small, single flowers. Love them for arranging. Pretty sure I bought this peony from Klehm's Song Sparrow.



And here are some more single peonies that wound up in a jar on the back porch with some ivy vines and roots trailing over and around them. Liked the roots so much I couldn't throw them away without giving them a little display time!


So, the first thing I need to learn is how to orient these photos properly.!






No comments:

Post a Comment